HIPAA Privacy and Security and Notice of Privacy Practices
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, HIPAA, is a federal law which requires health plans to implement additional security and privacy protections of member health information. Commonwealth Care Alliance is committed to protecting member privacy and is compliant with HIPAA regulations, as well as other Federal and Massachusetts privacy regulations. Commonwealth Care Alliance maintains a high level of security consistent with industry standards. Constant monitoring and improvements are made to Commonwealth Care Alliance’s security infrastructure.
Commonwealth Care Alliance is required by law to protect the privacy of a member’s health information and to provide a Notice of Privacy Practices, which describes the following:
- Commonwealth Care Alliance must have a member’s written authorization before Commonwealth Care Alliance uses or communicates to others a member’s health information for purposes other than providing or arranging for health care, the payment for or reimbursement of care that was provided and other related administrative activities.
- Commonwealth Care Alliance may be required or permitted by certain laws to use or communicate a member’s health information for other purposes without consent or authorization.
Among other rights, listed in the Member Rights and Responsibilities section, a Commonwealth Care Alliance member has the following rights regarding their health information:
- Review and receive a copy of his/her health information that Commonwealth Care Alliance creates and maintains
- Request an amendment or a correction regarding that information
- Request an accounting of disclosures of his/her health information
- Request that Commonwealth Care Alliance communicate with the member confidentially
- Request that Commonwealth Care Alliance restrict certain uses and disclosures of his/her health information
- File a complaint with CCA’s Privacy and Security Officer if he/she think his/her rights have been violated
Members have the right to receive a copy of Commonwealth Care Alliance’s current Notice of Privacy Practices. Please click on this link for the current Notice.
Last Updated 07/29/2013